How to Sell Jewelry on Craigslist
Selling jewelry on Craigslist and other onlince local classified sites is a great way to get cash for your jewelry, but there are some things that you should consider before you take the plunge into Craigslist selling.
Safeguards are critical when selling jewelry through Craigslist
- First NEVER, NEVER, and NEVER meet an unknown buyer in your house. Personal safety and protection against robbery should be your first priority.
- Meet the buyer in a public place like a restaurant or shopping mall.
- If you don't have a way to meet the potential buyer at a public place, then do not sell your jewelry through the Craigslist.
- The buyer's bank is a good public location because if they wish to buy the jewelry they can go and get the cash now and finish the transaction. In addition the bank should have some security in case something goes bad.
- Some other safeguards are notifying someone you can trust of the time and place of your meeting.
- Check in with that person after the meeting.
- It is helpful to have a cell phone.
- If you have a cell phone or pager it is a good idea to give that number in the ad. That way, when someone calls you, you get a call back number and they can't find your home address.
- It is also a good idea to go with someone else. I have met people who had another person standing in the background just watching. Sometimes conmen work in teams. If you bring someone along to look at the whole situation, they may be able to pick that up in time to help you not get ripped off.
Fraud should be next on your mind when selling jewelry through online classifieds
- Cash is the best transaction. Checks of all kinds (personal, cashiers checks, money orders, etc.) can be fakes.
- Be aware of switching of jewelry. Conmen are good at this and they use craigslist very effectively.
- Know your jewelry. Recheck it when they hand it back.
- Don't take risks just to make a little more on the sale of your estate jewelry.
- Trust your instincts.
- Keep diligent and alert.
- I'd like to make one final point. Most of the world is filled with wonderful people and every thing should go just fine. Trust your gut feeling, and stay alert.
Tips on getting more cash for your jewelry
- Clean your jewelry, or have it professionally cleaned by a jeweler.
- Have any paper work handy.
- Make your listing a good value because craigslist shoppers are the most price knowledgeable and concerned buyers. It has to be the lowest price or they won't buy.
- Take a few good quality pictures of your jewelry from different angles and include them in your ad.
- If possible, have a professional ready to verify the jewelry's value.
<~ Back to the University of Fine Jewelry
If selling jewelry on Craigslist isn't something you want to do, come by Arden Jewelers
for a free value appraisal of your jewelry. If you like our offer, you can get cash on the spot for your gold and jewelry. Our gemologist buyers are friendly and professional, and our 20+ year track record in Sacramento means you know you're getting a great deal from a safe and reputable jeweler.
| Or, read related article: How to Sell Jewelry on eBay